Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will usually charge to 100% at home prior to a long road trip. I have seen the messages about driving off immediately at a 100% charge. Why?

Also, the last 100% at home Level 2 charge yielded 278 actual miles!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Not good to leave the car sitting at 100% charge for a long time. However I think a couple of hours is tolerated OK.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,380 Posts
Because our batteries get damaged the longer they sit at 100%. Discovered by lots of science testing similar batteries over many years. Most testers don't have a way to look at the insides while the damage is occurring to say why. The damage is enough that VW put a buffer on the top end so that when the display says 100% its really at 96% to avoid some of the damage that 100% would cause.

·
170 Posts
Yeah, the general idea is that a battery held at 100% charge ages faster than one that is held at a lower state of charge. It’s also true that a battery that regularly cycles between 100-50% ages faster than one that cycles between 75-25% (same percentage of discharge, but different range of charge).

So the sooner you take off after hitting 100% the better. But a lot of these studies are looking at aging over long periods of time. It’s not so clear cut what excess aging you are adding when the battery is at 100% for 2hr vs 8hr a few times a year.

·
Res 2022 ID4 AWD Pro S
52 Posts
I'm waiting to take delivery of my id4 hopefully soon. But I have a question. My cummute is 62 miles each way to and from work. I was planing on charging every two days to 100 percent on the way back to my house at a ea station and then drive the last 50 miles home. By doing this it won't stay at 100 percent so will this hurt?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,380 Posts
I was plan ING on charging every two days to 100 percent on the way back to my house at a ea station and then drive the last 50 miles home. By doing this it won't stay at 100 percent so will this hurt?
Yes it will hurt by repeated and frequent DCFC, but not by sitting at 100%.

·
494 Posts
I will usually charge to 100% at home prior to a long road trip. I have seen the messages about driving off immediately at a 100% charge. Why?

Also, the last 100% at home Level 2 charge yielded 278 actual miles!
As a ID.4 owner for almost 2 years, if you are driving 120 miles round trip a day, and you are driving highway speeds, you are going to have to charge every night. I would put a level 2 charger in your home and forgo EA. The cost is very little to charge at home, dependent on where you live. We have over 27k on our ID.4 and it has cost us a total of 183 dollars To charge for those total miles. But again because of highway speeds, wind, hills, ac you will not be able to drive 2 days without charging.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a ID.4 owner for almost 2 years, if you are driving 120 miles round trip a day, and you are driving highway speeds, you are going to have to charge every night. I would put a level 2 charger in your home and forgo EA. The cost is very little to charge at home, dependent on where you live. We have over 27k on our ID.4 and it has cost us a total of 183 dollars To charge for those total miles. But again because of highway speeds, wind, hills, ac you will not be able to drive 2 days without charging.
Do you have solar at your house? How much per kWh do you pay? I have just under 28,000 miles. Our electricity is $.12 a KWh. I average about $50 a month to charge in our garage. A few thousand of those miles have been courtesy of EA.

·
494 Posts
Do you have solar at your house? How much per kWh do you pay? I have just under 28,000 miles. Our electricity is $.12 a KWh. I average about $50 a month to charge in our garage. A few thousand of those miles have been courtesy of EA.
Yes we have solar and are at .03 cents a kWh on off peak and .07 cents on peak. We always charge at night at the .03 cents. If you don’t have solar the utilities offers a EV program of .07 and .12 depending on the hours.

·
494 Posts
Yes we have solar and are at .03 cents a kWh on off peak and .07 cents on peak. We always charge at night at the .03 cents. If you don’t have solar the utilities offers a EV program of .07 and .12 depending on the hours.
I have used 6234 kWh on my home charger all at .03 cents is 187 dollars life time.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
331 Posts
Sometime I wish I lived in state with low energy cost... My current energy rate is roughly $0.35/kWh which makes little to no difference from charging at a DCFC besides the convenience of charging at home.

·
1,526 Posts
Definitely agree - and it's so much easier to leave the car set to charge to 80% or even 70% and just toss it on the charger at night without thinking about it... pull it off in the morning and go. Plus, if you buy the EVSE for your home this year, you can still get a 30% tax credit (subject to all normal tax credit disclaimers, etc.)

·
Res 2022 ID4 AWD Pro S
52 Posts
I don't have solar but like you all said it's easier and still cost effective it chage at home. I was just thinking of taking advantage of the free charging. But I can still do that on the road trips I plan to take come spring and summer next year.

Thanks for all the input from everyone 👍😎

·
494 Posts
I don't have solar but like you all said it's easier and still cost effective it chage at home. I was just thinking of taking advantage of the free charging. But I can still do that on the road trips I plan to take come spring and summer next year.

Thanks for all the input from everyone 👍😎
We love the car and have a 2023 on order. You will face some range anxiety to begin with but as you get use to the car it will pass

·
2,788 Posts
If battery SOH is not important to you , charge it however you like.
Charging to 100% is usually not necessary unless you are on trip and first available location requires full charge to get there.
Living battery pack for extended periods of time at 100%SOC is not very good for SOH.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts