Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will Volkswagen dealerships have ev chargers available to use free, with included 3 years?
Thank you all for your posts and reviews!

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
Why would they - do ICE dealerships have gas stations?

Some ICE car dealerships (Nissan, VW, etc) do have a token L2 EVSE or two, but they are often blocked by ICE cars or broken in my experience. You'd have to leave your car there for 1/2 a day to get a reasonable charge too. Nissan is better about having DCFCs, but they are often CHAdeMO only and also blocked or broken. There is no business incentive for dealers to purchase and maintain chargers or EVSE for customers. They should have ones for their shop use.

Just look for a convenient CCS charger near you with the Plugshare app.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
You will likely find at least an L2 in a customer/visitor area of any dealership selling ID.4's. These might be convenient in a pinch, but would you want a salesperson bugging you every time you showed up?

Reactions: Polyphonic

·
53 Posts
My wife makes the argument that we are supposed to get 3 years of free charging from EA. The nearest one to us is 45 minutes away so the least VW should do is allow us to charge for free at their dealerships. I’m not holding my breath for that to happen. Plus, if it’s not a DC fast charge I certainly don’t want to sit around at a VW shop for hours.

·
AWD PRO S
30 Posts
My dealer indicates that they "are going to the top tier participation level for electrification" -- not sure what that means corporately -- but they are installing two level 3 DC fast chargers at their store that will be free to use for all their ID.4 customers.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
My dealership already has a Chargepoint charging area in their parking lot with four stations. It's the main reason I bought a ChargePoint brand home charger.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 2.36.21 PM.png

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
My dealer indicates that they "are going to the top tier participation level for electrification" -- not sure what that means corporately -- but they are installing two level 3 DC fast chargers at their store that will be free to use for all their ID.4 customers.
Ok, but what is the kw rating? Is it 24kw like Harley dealers, 50kw or even more?

·
690 Posts
My dealer told me that VW required all dealers to install a charger in order to be qualified to sell the ID.4. The only thing my salesperson knew about it was that it was a L2 charger.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
Why would they - do ICE dealerships have gas stations?
Many Chevrolet dealers also have a DC fast charger open to everyone, not just Chevy's.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
My dealer told me that VW required all dealers to install a charger in order to be qualified to sell the ID.4. The only thing my salesperson knew about it was that it was a L2 charger.
Free L2 charging is like free coffee in the waiting room. It's a nice perk but irrelevant. I think the main reason the dealers need the chargers is to demonstrate to new EV buyers (or NOOBS as my son would call them) how the process works.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
Free L2 charging is like free coffee in the waiting room. It's a nice perk but irrelevant. I think the main reason the dealers need the chargers is to demonstrate to new EV buyers (or NOOBS as my son would call them) how the process works.
The cost for an L2 isn't all that great - mainly some wiring. And they need to have one that the service people can use in a pinch.

I looked on plugshare - nothing for my dealer (yet).

·
132 Posts
When I got my eGolf the dealer had a Level 2 charger just outside the showroom. The one and only time I needed an emergency charge I happened to be nearby so I headed over there. It had been removed. I asked inside, but no one could tell me why. I knew they had another charger in the back, but they wouldn't let me use it (even though I was down to less than 2 miles of range) due to "insurance" issues. I asked where the nearest charger was that I could use, and the general manager sent me to a nearby 7-11 store parking lot. Only when I got there I discovered it was CHAdeMO only. The VW manager didn't know there were multiple charging types, nor which kind his cars used. I ended up having to get a tow to my house. That's when I stopped going to that dealer, and wrote a strong letter of complaint to Volkswagen America about the dealership's lack of support for their product.

Imagine my surprise when I ordered my new ID.4 and that dealership came up first on the list of preferred dealers in my area! Needless to say, I went with a different one. I don't know if that means they put the charger back at that dealership -I wouldn't go back there to find out.

·
81 Posts
My wife makes the argument that we are supposed to get 3 years of free charging from EA. The nearest one to us is 45 minutes away so the least VW should do is allow us to charge for free at their dealerships. I’m not holding my breath for that to happen. Plus, if it’s not a DC fast charge I certainly don’t want to sit around at a VW shop for hours.
I mean that isn't really on VW, Electrify America while funded by VW is separate. You get 3 years where its available. They'll be expanding but not sure where and when kinda thing. I wouldn't hold you breath on dealership charging.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
My dealer has had a L2 out front for several years. The only problem is it's right out front in the "best" spot so it's often filled with ICE vehicles. The attached Chevy dealer (same ownership group) has an L2 around back near their service area they said they allow customers to use. I live basically across the street so in theory I could park there and charge overnight and walk to/from but we overbuilt our home solar so I have spare kwh to use at home for a 2nd EV.

·
253 Posts
I saw that VW had loans specifically for their dealerships to help them "electrify".

·
405 Posts
The VW dealer where I ordered my ID4 has just installed charge ports, but that dealer is almost 90 miles away. But just a few miles from me are several EA chargers at Walmart. I am already wired for a level 2 charger in my garage.

·
ID.4 FE
88 Posts
Our local dealer is a stones throw from a Target which already has a bank of 150kw EA DCFC, so I don’t expect them to add it. Doesn’t seem like there’s much rhyme or reason to where EA stations pop up in the Chicago area. Theyre at random Targets, Costcos, Meijers, malls, banks and Walmart’s.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
947 Posts
It's going to get interesting as more EVs show up on more dealership lots, all those batteries needing to be monitored and charged. I don't know what percentage of cars in inventory get test driven, or what the typical weekly mileage is, but I hope that corporate is being kind to their sales partners and giving them some sort of "master app" access so they can actively monitor when any particular vehicle in their possession has reached a state-of-charge/find-me-and-plug-me-in threshold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts