Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Winter tires

6K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  pdqpdq 
#1 ·
I'm at dealer getting my 20k service done.

I asked them to install my brand new winter Square 18inch wheels with Blizzak tires set. The service guy comes to tell me these new wheels and tires will create issues with the car because they are not the same size tires and wheels because the fronts and rears are suppose to be different sizes.

Thoughts??

BTW, I had the 19 inch wheels with Bridgestone Alenza's.

I told them to put them on anyway, and they made me sign a release.

#2 ·
A release makes sense, because there are some issues. Weight carrying capacity of the wheels they don't know. It will affect the handling, and for some people that could be an "issue". And the outside diameter of the tires could be different, we don't know since you didn't post the size. The dealer might not want to look that up and check about that issue either.

#18 ·
I'm still waiting for the car- I'm a new would- be owner. But those are the sizes it will have.

This site, previously posted here, does a good job of showing what wheels and tires work:

#21 ·
Not sure what I'm missing. As shown by

235/55/19 is very similar to 255/50/19.

suggesting that the 235/55/19 'square' setup is reasonable.
sad to say but looks like the tyre comparison you mentioned does not care the car is RWD. or you took AWD?

#26 ·
19s you can easily do a square setup with 235/55-19 which matches the stock front and rear tires OD exactly, and the rims are all the same width. With 20" rims you cannot do this as easily since the back rims are wider, which would make your square setup have varying OD which is a bad idea. And it may look a little strange when you rotate the wider 20" rims to the front.

#39 · (Edited)
For winter tires I do understand that point too. Rotating tires are less of an issue with them. The rubber gets too hard after three winters and at that point there is quite enough tread left still. I have never had to ditch winter tires for not having enough tread left.

On the other hand tires that are skinnier and have taller sides (same diameter of course but on smaller wheels) are better for winter.

#41 ·
This is my logic in ordering the square setup for winter tires. Others have said the same thing, but it is obvious in a table

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel
Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

There just doesn’t seem to be any relevant difference (for the limited winter driving I would do around here) between the 18” winter tires and the 20” on the car now. Seattle is mostly rain on hills with some icy and occasional snow conditions. The reviews on the Blizzak seem to show better traction in these conditions than the all season that came with the car. If nothing else, this will reduce the mileage on the all season tires. Not claiming perfect logic, but what I ended up with after reading terrific thoughts and comments in this forum. My continued thanks to you all.

#42 ·
Mmm. I hadn't considered the extra hassle factor for anyone riding on 20" wheels. I'm on 19" so the tire is "beefier" to begin with and perhaps more appropriate for winter driving—plus the Blizzaks may not be available in 20" sizes? I have not researched those sizes at all.

#45 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.