Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I finally had the opportunity to take my FE out on an open highway/interstate yesterday, and got the speed up. The car actually handled brilliantly; I felt in control, but also gave the Travel Assist a workout, and it managed quite nicely.

However, each time the car exceeded 75 MPH, I received a warning indicator and tone. I don't recall the exact words, but the indicator mentioned that I had exceeded the limit for Winter Wheels. I did a bit of searching on this forum, but didn't find mention of this indicator. There was some discussion of VW's use of "winter wheels" but that only seemed to suggest they were somewhat less forgiving in the winter and on potholes.

Does anyone have insights on this warning, and on VW's use of these wheels?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
434 Posts
Hi, I finally had the opportunity to take my FE out on an open highway/interstate yesterday, and got the speed up. The car actually handled brilliantly; I felt in control, but also gave the Travel Assist a workout, and it managed quite nicely.

However, each time the car exceeded 75 MPH, I received a warning indicator and tone. I don't recall the exact words, but the indicator mentioned that I had exceeded the limit for Winter Wheels. I did a bit of searching on this forum, but didn't find mention of this indicator. There was some discussion of VW's use of "winter wheels" but that only seemed to suggest they were somewhat less forgiving in the winter and on potholes.

Does anyone have insights on this warning, and on VW's use of these wheels?
I do remember seeing one other person mention this warning a while back, and I think they couldn't figure out how to deactivate it either, sorry I don't have more info than that though :/

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do remember seeing one other person mention this warning a while back, and I think they couldn't figure out how to deactivate it either, sorry I don't have more info than that though :/
Thanks for weighing in. Sounds as if this is an anomaly since there's been little discussion -- and I suppose that's a good thing! Now, just need to figure out how to remove the warning :unsure:

·
25 Posts
Winter tires tend to have a low speed limit due to the compound & construction of the tire, so VW and other companies put a feature in where you can program it to remind you to stay at a safe speed when you are running winter tires. There should be a place somewhere in the settings menus to turn it off.

·
1,248 Posts
Winter tires tend to have a low speed limit due to the compound & construction of the tire, so VW and other companies put a feature in where you can program it to remind you to stay at a safe speed when you are running winter tires. There should be a place somewhere in the settings menus to turn it off.
No cars are being delivered with winter tires yet, so this warning appearing by default is yet another bug. See Comparing the stock tires on Pro versus FE

Reactions: NeoFrank

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
No cars are being delivered with winter tires yet, so this warning appearing by default is yet another bug. See Comparing the stock tires on Pro versus FE
I don't think cars are delivered with winter tires anywhere, and definitely not in the U.S. Many cars, many VW's, have the ability to set a "winter tire warning" that does as SSackey suggests and warns you when you exceed a certain speed. I'd say this feature in the ID.4 isn't a bug at all.

·
1,248 Posts
The bug is that the winter tire warning appears to be on by default. Or did multiple people reporting this turn it on by accident? Or do you think the stock tires are not good for > 70mph and we should be warned by default?

Reactions: TPG and theboomr

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
The bug is that the winter tire warning appears to be on by default. Or did multiple people reporting this turn it on by accident? Or do you think the stock tires are not good for > 70mph and we should be warned by default?
Ah I see what you were referring to. Well, I've only heard of two instances of folks talking about the winter tire warning, so I imagine if it were a default setting for some reason that we'd be hearing more about it.

·
18 Posts
The winter tire speed warning can be deactivated on the information screen. Go to 'vehicle' then 'outside' then choose 'tires'. You will find the setting to turn off the speed warning and also adjust the warning speed. I have mine set to 80mph, as a nagging warning (visual message only).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts