Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading of so many issues and annoyances with the ID.4 has me wondering how the majority of owners feel. Would you still go with the ID.4 if you had it to do over again?

I have an ID.4 on order, but have been considering going with an Model 3 since it’s also in my price range and Tesla seems to have worked out most of the bugs at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,683 Posts
Without even thinking about it... After mule ID4 i have decided to buy my own ID4. ...and I was BMW driver for many years.... some of first adopters experience should not make bad taste in your mind. ... Even Tesla 3 i had for observations had infotainment glitches where it will go black and all access to car is gone.
If you are going for Tesla I would wait for fat cylindrical cells .... or enjoy now and go with SUV ID4. it is more comfortable.....better seats....better for long trips and more car connected vs Tesla where you feel more technology connected and it always reminds me on seating behind kitchen table if you take Tesla infotainment screen out of the picture.
Again I'm German lived there all my life and my experience should not make you mad or upset because how i felt driving Tesla model 3 and Y.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
Did we really need another thread? in addition to Christoph’s link there’s also already a “what I like … “ thread.

Anyway, YES I would buy again. I have had very few issues and mostly just early App-related. Actual drivability has been outstanding.

Automotive forums by their nature tend to herald negatives from a relatively few rather than the accolades of the silent many. Having said that, I think we’re all looking forward to the upcoming OTA software update.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did we really need another thread? in addition to Christoph’s link there’s also already a “what I like … “ thread.

Anyway, YES I would buy again. I have had very few issues and mostly just early App-related. Actual drivability has been outstanding.

Automotive forums by their nature tend to herald negatives from a relatively few rather than the accolades of the silent many. Having said that, I think we’re all looking forward to the upcoming OTA software update.
Sorry to annoy Huey. Thanks to the other poster who linked the other thread - much appreciated!

·
65 Posts

This is the truth. The majority of people who own a car don't frequent forums based on that car. The majority of people having no issues don't frequent forums because they have nothing to look up and investigate. Normal car boards are where crazy people like most of us go to pull in every scrap we can about the cars we want or own, or where you go to complain about a problem and look for a fix. I have a new 2021 F150 Powerboost hybrid and if you look at the 14th gen F150 boards you'd think every car needs a new engine and everything else is broken. But in reality, the broken wheel is the noisiest. Love the ID.4, only 2 weeks in of ownership, had one software bug, but otherwise its been great and it drives so well and they cost savings over our ICE Mom Wagon (Honda Pilot) is immense.

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
115 Posts
People who are NOT having issues with a new vehicle generally don't go online and ask, "Am I the only one who's having no problems with my car?"

I think it's just the nature of people to look for answers or solace from others when things aren't going well.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the truth. The majority of people who own a car don't frequent forums based on that car. The majority of people having no issues don't frequent forums because they have nothing to look up and investigate. Normal car boards are where crazy people like most of us go to pull in every scrap we can about the cars we want or own, or where you go to complain about a problem and look for a fix. I have a new 2021 F150 Powerboost hybrid and if you look at the 14th gen F150 boards you'd think every car needs a new engine and everything else is broken. But in reality, the broken wheel is the noisiest. Love the ID.4, only 2 weeks in of ownership, had one software bug, but otherwise its been great and it drives so well and they cost savings over our ICE Mom Wagon (Honda Pilot) is immense.
This is a valid point that is often brought up on car forums for numerous makes/models. With that said, the F150 sells hundreds of thousands of units each year so I would expect a fair amount of complaints just based on statistical probability. The ID.4 is a low volume vehicle thus far so any pattern of serious issues carries a bit more weight IMO.

·
1,683 Posts
I told the dealer that I knew I was the beta tester. So far no issues that I can’t live with. Car Net is a nothingburger now and the wireless charger is pretty much useless with a case on the phone. Still better than selling my soul to Elon.
Let's not start fighting over Tesla and Elon...it is great sources for benchmark and revolution of EV . If for nothing I have great respect for that and going with new ideas that many old car makers would never try. Working at Tesla and getting with NASA scientists are experiences that you will not find anywhere. My last job was with Rimac and only reason i considered offer from Tesla is to have once in lifetime access to great engineering minds and fully open hands to what future EV should look feel and run.
Do not underestimate power of engineers at Tesla!

·
34 Posts
Reading of so many issues and annoyances with the ID.4 has me wondering how the majority of owners feel. Would you still go with the ID.4 if you had it to do over again?

I have an ID.4 on order, but have been considering going with an Model 3 since it’s also in my price range and Tesla seems to have worked out most of the bugs at this point.

A couple of things, from a former Model 3 owner. If you are going to get the standard range plus, you will be waiting until January 2022. Tesla's are great cars, but they are not without issues themselves. I have owned several Tesla's over the last 6 years, and I faced plenty of problems. If I would have to do it again, I would absolutely get the ID 4, It is the better built car. Now, it being the first generation of the model, you can expect some issues that VW will need to iron out, that's the nature of the beast when you are first in line for something.

·
34 Posts
I told the dealer that I knew I was the beta tester. So far no issues that I can’t live with. Car Net is a nothingburger now and the wireless charger is pretty much useless with a case on the phone. Still better than selling my soul to Elon.
To me, Car Net is the biggest disappointment. The app is generally useless, VW should have done better with that.

·
34 Posts
Let's not start fighting over Tesla and Elon...it is great sources for benchmark and revolution of EV . If for nothing I have great respect for that and going with new ideas that many old car makers would never try. Working at Tesla and getting with Nasa scientists are experience that you will not find anywhere. My last job was with Rimac and only reason i considered offer from Tesla is to have once in lifetime access to great engineering minds and fully open hands to what future EV should look feel and run.
Do not underestimate power of engineers at Tesla
Tesla is a great company. The ID 4 and all of the other EV's coming to market would not be, if it wasn't for Tesla, that's just the truth. In saying that, the company has lost its way recently, and with all the completion coming, they really need to tighten up. Success breeds hubris.

·
34 Posts
Dieselgate, not Tesla, forced VW's hand in adopting EVs within the timeframe that they are operating.
Of course that’s part of it for VW, but Tesla changed the industry. They showed EV’s could be desirable, and that there was a market for them. Without Tesla, we would not have EV’s today, they will go down in history books for that. Tesla’s influence is now all over the industry. This from a startup everyone said would fail. They deserve credit and respect for that.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
Actually, we do have a thread like that. ;)
People who are NOT having issues with a new vehicle generally don't go online and ask, "Am I the only one who's having no problems with my car?"

I think it's just the nature of people to look for answers or solace from others when things aren't going well.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts