Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
115 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,189 Posts
Would you still go with the ID.4 if you had it to do over again?
Absolutely, without a doubt either buy again.

My closest runner-up was a Polestar 2. Granted, $20k more expensive. But yesterday I saw the two wheel drive version Polestar has been announced at $45,000 and slightly increased range, and when I read this I experienced not a single pang of regret. I'm really pleased with the ID.4, it checks all the right boxes.

·
1,683 Posts
So what do you guys think about 30 000 rpm under load electric motor that will run 1500+ torque... will there be tire to make it to the ground without slipping or dragster type of acceleration ....or single motor with planetary gear set for each wheel using half shafts. ...so 4 motors and infinite torque distribution for maximum grip .... and greater efficiency

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
I would still get the ID.4 if I had it to do over again. I would just get Kings Red instead of black.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
Just as a periodic sanity check I holistically reviewed the Benz GLA forum I also moderate and if you just went by the far more volumous negative threads you would never buy one.
Yet in similar "who has had no problems" and "what I like" polls the positive response is overwhelming.

It's very understandable as you say that folks with problems want to commiserate, gauge relative magnitude, and if not resolve at least hope for rapid solutions to their issues. We've all done it.

The Yin Yang of the automotive enthusiast is that we do more research & evaluation and therefore on balance have higher expectations, yet at the same time lament when those higher expectations aren't better met. We also tend to look across automotive and technology industries and therefore know what's possible, which also skews our expectations and disappointments. I think most of us at one time or another has thought "why can't one car adopt all of these best options?" [aside from Porsche].

As Spin recently recalled of an elder "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing." ['the idea that a small amount of knowledge can mislead people into thinking that they are more expert than they really are, which can lead to mistakes being made.']. I've been guilty myself of proceeding in a discussion with too little knowledge. But I do know why there are rear drum brakes. ;)

This is the truth. The majority of people who own a car don't frequent forums based on that car. The majority of people having no issues don't frequent forums because they have nothing to look up and investigate. Normal car boards are where crazy people like most of us go to pull in every scrap we can about the cars we want or own, or where you go to complain about a problem and look for a fix. I have a new 2021 F150 Powerboost hybrid and if you look at the 14th gen F150 boards you'd think every car needs a new engine and everything else is broken. But in reality, the broken wheel is the noisiest. Love the ID.4, only 2 weeks in of ownership, had one software bug, but otherwise its been great and it drives so well and they cost savings over our ICE Mom Wagon (Honda Pilot) is immense.

·
2 Posts
Reading of so many issues and annoyances with the ID.4 has me wondering how the majority of owners feel. Would you still go with the ID.4 if you had it to do over again?

I have an ID.4 on order, but have been considering going with an Model 3 since it’s also in my price range and Tesla seems to have worked out most of the bugs at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you still go with the ID.4 if you had it to do over again?

I love my iD4! I have however tempered my expectations based on the realization that this is VW’s very early entry into the electric vehicle market. I am currrently on my first long distance drive and have found my range exceeds the expected 250 miles. I drive slow and steady.

When I bought my iD4 I had several boxes to tick: not too expensive, good cargo and people carrying capability, decent range and well built. It ticked all the boxes. I loved my Tesla road test, but it was very expensive, had no gov’t subsidy, and had just read several articles about continuing quality control issues with body panels, etc. Other electric cars were either pathetically too small (Chevy Bolt, Kona, etc) or not yet available and or too expensive (BMW, Ipace, XC40).

I go on road trips only once or twice a year, generally only drive around 25 miles a day. I use a level 1 charger in my garage and never have to worry about range. I do believe they need to drastically improve their infotainment, but the rest seems just fine. I don’t care that it takes 7 seconds to get to 60, it’s still faster than my wife’s Subaru, and I am limited by the person in front of me most of the time anyway. Finally, though intellectually I felt cheated because it didn’t have a “frunk” I actually never miss it because I’ve never had it. It would have been another thing to get used to.

I’d buy the iD4 again without hesitation.

Drive well everyone. Hope to see another iD4 on the road soon!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
Just enjoyed a very pleasant backroads drive, thankfully returned to Canadian cool dry airmass. Windows open, radio off and almost silent on some fairly good roads for a change. ID.4 performed flawlessly and without any drama.
I'm now moving my overall rating up to '8' with drivability as always a '10'. :)

·
558 Posts
The ID4 is an awesome vehicle that just happens to be also an EV. But this is the first vehicle I have owned in the past 58 years that has stuff that just stops working for a while and then starts again after being parked for a short time. I find this very concerning and do not understand why VW let the ID4 go on the market with these computer glitches. My previous vehicle, a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, never had an issue in the two year I owned it. Then, of course the South Koreans are known for their computer prowess! So to answer the question: Knowing what I know now I would have waited another year for VW to work out the kinks. If VW can not address these computer software issues by the end of this year I may seriously consider looking for another EV.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
But in my 54 driving years I've not before had a vehicle that's so computer-network dependent. ;) And it appears as myself this is your first pure-electric?

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to cold reboot a Microsoft OS computer, not to mention 'blue screen of death', I would have bought the e-tron. 😖

Although I've not had any but a few App issues early on I do sympathize with those who have, yourself included. Here's hoping VW knows they have one shot (OTA v2.3) at resolving most cited issues. I would also hope they know it can't be the "EV for the people" if people have such issues and concerns.

btw: I don't switch my ID.4 into 'gear' until I've waited for the Infotainment screen to fully load. I also firmly insert and hold my EVSE plug until the socket light starts flashing green as well as the dash ID light. These simple actions may not help, but they don't hurt and again I have almost no issues.
The ID4 is an awesome vehicle that just happens to be also an EV. But this is the first vehicle I have owned in the past 58 years that has stuff that just stops working for a while and then starts again after being parked for a short time. I find this very concerning and do not understand why VW let the ID4 go on the market with these computer glitches. My previous vehicle, a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, never had an issue in the two year I owned it. Then, of course the South Koreans are known for their computer prowess! So to answer the question: Knowing what I know now I would have waited another year for VW to work out the kinks. If VW can not address these computer software issues by the end of this year I may seriously consider looking for another EV.

·
51 Posts
A couple of things, from a former Model 3 owner. If you are going to get the standard range plus, you will be waiting until January 2022. Tesla's are great cars, but they are not without issues themselves. I have owned several Tesla's over the last 6 years, and I faced plenty of problems. If I would have to do it again, I would absolutely get the ID 4, It is the better built car. Now, it being the first generation of the model, you can expect some issues that VW will need to iron out, that's the nature of the beast when you are first in line for something.
I agree. The VW AG has decades of experience in designing and building good cars, so it easier for the company, with it's experience, to move into the EV realm than for Elon Musk to start from scratch.

·
5 Posts
Reading of so many issues and annoyances with the ID.4 has me wondering how the majority of owners feel. Would you still go with the ID.4 if you had it to do over again?

I have an ID.4 on order, but have been considering going with an Model 3 since it’s also in my price range and Tesla seems to have worked out most of the bugs at this point.

Yes, I would. No hesitation. There is so much more to love than be bothered by.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts