Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
1st Edition
507 Posts
We bought from Roger Jobs VW in Bellingham. Ive had worse experiences, but I still wouldn’t buy from them again. Car came with some extras I didn’t want but had to take. Worse, I had a decent trade in and was trying to get the MSRP below $45k, as I was trying to explain to the salesman he literally stood up, talked over me, and walked out of the room. That stunt cost me an extra $3k in sales tax.

Their service is rather poor as well.

Next time, if there is a next time, I’ll at least go as far as Marysville, and maybe to Seattle, to find a better dealer.

·
15 Posts
Has anyone bought from Kirkland recently? Curious if they are pushing their scammy add-ons for ordered cars.

Would like to get it in email that they won't if anyone has had any luck with any particular salesperson.

·
29 Posts
I have a locked reservation at Kirkland and at Edmonds. I asked both of I could do the paperwork in advance and get a value on my trade-in. Kirkland said no they do that on day of pick-up. Edmonds said yes. So I'm not feeling too confident going with Kirkland right now.

·
242 Posts
I don’t have a ton of confidence in O’Brien Auto Group, to be honest, and they own both VW of Kirkland and Toyota of Kirkland. Their sales methods seem to be consistent across the group, and they can be very pushy on the add-ons. As far as I know, you can say no, but as I’ve stated earlier in the thread, I’ve watched a sales person literally add stuff onto the contract “as a favor” and then get the customer to accept it.

·
15 Posts
I originally had 2022 order at Carter in Ballard, but they didn't seem to care about doing anything about the tax credit issue a few months back and were largely nonresponsive about it.

On the other hand, Kirkland VW made some addendums to be used that referenced your order number to be used for tax purposes. Whether they work or not remains to be seen, but at least they were trying....something

So I switched my 2022 order and made a new 2023 order over to Kirkland VW. Then my January 2022 (4/11 lock) order got changed to a 2023 (Pro S Plus AWD) and now my second 2023 order (locked 10/18) moved to 20-1 yesterday (Pro S AWD).

Anyway...now I wish I had just stuck with Carter, but they were largely unhelpful and Kirkland seems to have some questionable sales tactics. Really just hate the dealership experience all around.

·
242 Posts
Agreed. It’s odd that Carter Ballard was so unhelpful though, since my experience with Carter Shoreline is generally pretty good. I’ve bought 3 Subarus from them over the years, and would do it again. While they would ask about add ons and financing, they never felt pushy. They’d just give their sales pitch, I’d say no, we move on.

That said, when I reached out to Carter VW to see about moving my reservation before it locked, I got silence as well. So it wound up at University VW. With University VW, I went with them because while they can sometimes be a bit blunt in e-mail, they get to the point and so far haven’t given any signs of BS. They are also quite responsive over e-mail. Fingers crossed it all holds when it comes time to pick up.

·
1,501 Posts
I am going with Campbell in Edmonds. They have been accommodating so far, sent an email saying they sell at MSRP, and they made an effort on the written, binding contracts thing (just in time).

I have had good experience there before, negotiating the buy of a Jetta for my sister. I've also had good experience doing that at University VW with another couple of her Jettas.

Dave

Reactions: ID-PNW and ErickF

·
15 Posts
I am going with Campbell in Edmonds. They have been accommodating so far, sent an email saying they sell at MSRP, and they made an effort on the written, binding contracts thing (just in time).

I have had good experience there before, negotiating the buy of a Jetta for my sister. I've also had good experience doing that at University VW with another couple of her Jettas.

Dave
Thanks. Too late to switch the 20-1 I think, but I should switch my other to Campbell's, they are not too far away for me.

At the very least, I will use what little leverage I have (moving second order to Campbell's for an inventory car) against Kirkland if they try to force their etching and other scam add-ons.

·
19 Posts
Agreed. It’s odd that Carter Ballard was so unhelpful though, since my experience with Carter Shoreline is generally pretty good. I’ve bought 3 Subarus from them over the years, and would do it again. While they would ask about add ons and financing, they never felt pushy. They’d just give their sales pitch, I’d say no, we move on.

That said, when I reached out to Carter VW to see about moving my reservation before it locked, I got silence as well. So it wound up at University VW. With University VW, I went with them because while they can sometimes be a bit blunt in e-mail, they get to the point and so far haven’t given any signs of BS. They are also quite responsive over e-mail. Fingers crossed it all holds when it comes time to pick up.
We bought our Subaru Crosstrek from Carter Shoreline (Joe Spitz!) in 2018. Great experience. I wanted a manual, so I got to do the whole factory order thing. Absolutely no BS, knew exactly what I was getting and what it would cost, long before pickup day.

For our ID.4, we're going through University VW as well. We did a test drive two weeks ago. Was told verbally that there wouldn't be any add-ons or extra things. I wish I'd grabbed a business card, because I still don't have an e-mail address for them that I can use to get that info in writing. Supposedly we'll get it early to mid November. Now to figure out what to do with that Subaru...

·
Proud FE owner
1,276 Posts
For our ID.4, we're going through University VW as well. We did a test drive two weeks ago. Was told verbally that there wouldn't be any add-ons or extra things. I wish I'd grabbed a business card, because I still don't have an e-mail address for them that I can use to get that info in writing. Supposedly we'll get it early to mid November. Now to figure out what to do with that Subaru...
At UVW, we worked with Casey Strickland on our CPO Jetta (our ID.4 and prior CC were from Campbell). Her email is: [email protected]. If you are looking for something in writing...

·
242 Posts
We bought our Subaru Crosstrek from Carter Shoreline (Joe Spitz!) in 2018. Great experience. I wanted a manual, so I got to do the whole factory order thing. Absolutely no BS, knew exactly what I was getting and what it would cost, long before pickup day.
I haven’t worked with Joe, but cars101.com was a useful resource for getting measurements and other details on Subaru’s offerings. I think the one thing about Carter that is a little odd, but not really bad, is that they have a pretty aggressive policy about keeping continuity of sales people. When I started discussing my second Subaru, they looked up who I worked with before and made sure I worked with him again. A very strong sense of not wanting to “poach” customers from each other.

I just reached out through the contact form on the website and got their internet sales manager. Might be able to ask for your sales person that way and get it in e-mail at least?

But I see University VW is getting 2023s in now/soon, so might want to reach out quick. I kinda wish I stuck to the AWD Pro S now.

·
19 Posts
I just reached out through the contact form on the website and got their internet sales manager. Might be able to ask for your sales person that way and get it in e-mail at least?

But I see University VW is getting 2023s in now/soon, so might want to reach out quick. I kinda wish I stuck to the AWD Pro S now.
I had tried the contact form (twice), but never heard from them. When we went in for the test drive, the person we talked with there went into the "bullpen" office of sales folks or whatever to ask about our reservation and eta, and I overheard that it appeared that "someone" was attached to my e-mail address, but had never followed up. He snoozes, he loses :D.

I actually have the phone # of our sales associate (had to text over our insurance info for the test drive). So I've texted and we'll see if they get back to me with e-mail, etc...

And yeah, cars have started showing up on their page the last two days, but not ours yet...

·
204 Posts
Wanted to let everyone know that I ordered with/from Armstrong VW today.

They did pay the initial $100 and promised to pay the next $400 too. Also when delivered will just charge the MSRP. So, I’m pretty happy at this point!
Interesting. So you are essentially getting $500 off MSRP? That's unheard in today's market! Good job.

GR

·
2023 Pro S AWD
30 Posts
Sounds like you’re paying MSRP when the car arrives. They are just fronting the $500 deposit until that time comes.
I bought from Armstrong in Portland— nice folks. Would not buy there again because they add a GPS tracking device to every single car on their lot (helps with their insurance costs), and charge customers $995 for it. It’s a scam, and one that will surely change as the market shifts from sellers to buyers.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts