Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I looked it up. The actuator is a motorized device that extends the rod to lock the plug into place. It’s part of the receptacle on the car, not the EVSE. You can see it trying to poke out in my video above. It’s not fixed yet, just diagnosed. They said they ordered the part with a code “red” or something, which is highest priority. It could be sent overnight or in a couple weeks. I will know for sure tomorrow.

Reactions: ericy

·
ID.4 1st Edition
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Were you still able to charge the car, even when you got the "Emergency Charging Only" error message?
I was able to charge it at 1kW. I left it plugged in for 11.5 hours last night. It added 11.5kW, as one would expect, which amounted to an estimated 47 miles (according to my ChargePoint app).

·
71 Posts
I was able to charge it at 1kW. I left it plugged in for 11.5 hours last night. It added 11.5kW, as one would expect, which amounted to an estimated 47 miles (according to my ChargePoint app).
Then it was good you weren't on a long road trip!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
I looked it up. The actuator is a motorized device that extends the rod to lock the plug into place. It’s part of the receptacle on the car, not the EVSE. You can see it trying to poke out in my video above. It’s not fixed yet, just diagnosed. They said they ordered the part with a code “red” or something, which is highest priority. It could be sent overnight or in a couple weeks. I will know for sure tomorrow.
I would hope that it is more like the overnight option.

I suppose there just isn't much in the way of parts inventory in the U.S. as of yet.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
113 Posts
After I got my ID.4 this same thing happened to me a couple of times. I thought it was my Leviton EVSE. After those two times it has worked flawlessly. Also worked with multiple DCFC’s. I wonder if this is going to be the first recall as it seems they may have a lot of defective actuators. I am not going to the dealer as of now because it seems to be working fine but may if it happens again.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
The part under discussion is the pin that locks the EVSE's plug during charge and is part of the vehicle. The "actuator" is likely a solenoid that electro-mechanically moves that pin, which appears partially stuck in the OP's case.

So thats a part of the socket on your car? Not something specific to to EVSE(s)? I wonder, did it break, fall out of alignment, or tolerance? Hmmm?

·
ID.4 1st Edition
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just got the call from the service department. It will take a week to get the part shipped from Germany and processed through customs. Super annoying, but I’ve waited this long, I can wait a few more days! The loaner is a Jetta, which makes the ID4 a super-luxury car by comparison.

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
Just got the call from the service department. It will take a week to get the part shipped from Germany and processed through customs. Super annoying, but I’ve waited this long, I can wait a few more days! The loaner is a Jetta, which makes the ID4 a super-luxury car by comparison.
My loaner was a Jetta also. They were embarrassed that it was all they had at the time. Worked out well since we are in the market for our 16YO, who may or may not have had a test drive. 😉

·
ID.4 1st Edition
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
They have a Tiguan also, but said that I would be happier in the Jetta. What do you think? Should I switch it up? I have never driven a Tiguan before.

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
They have a Tiguan also, but said that I would be happier in the Jetta. What do you think? Should I switch it up? I have never driven a Tiguan before.
Go for it. It would be an interesting comparison to an ID.4.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
It is an interesting contrast with the UK site (speakev). There the dealers are slammed doing 2.1 software updates, so people who have trouble with newer cars (like ID.4) are having long waits.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Oh wow - that’s a perfect storm. Sounds awful! I’m taking it all in stride. The fact that I’m choosing between a Jetta and a Tiguan for a loaner is nothing compared to what they must be going through in the UK (on top of Brexit). That said, I hope VW does something nice for us early adopters down the road.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
For those of you following my saga, the replacement part being shipped from Germany was promised in on 4/13. That got pushed to 4/14. Then we found out it got held up in Memphis during a storm. It still hasn’t arrived.

But guess what has arrived: the original car I had reserved. I should have waited instead of buying the canceled FE the dealer had on the lot. At least I can get my deposit back now. But it’s 11 days and counting with the brand new car still in the shop. 😢

At least VW is offering to give me some financial consideration for this horrible inconvenience. I don’t have it in writing yet, but I’m expecting something substantial.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
Michael SD, If you do opt for a Tiguan loaner, and it would be a good comparison, do spring for 91/93 octane fuel. A friend was told by his salesman - "it will take 87 regular gas" but of course didn't finish the sentence with ".. but it will have far less than optimal performance as the turbo psi and engine timing will be retarded, among other things, as a low octane pre-detonation safeguard."

But mostly here's hoping your plug-lock solenoid shows up and gets installed very soon. And you certainly do deserve some consideration for your long wait and very positive attitude! 👍

·
2021 1st
351 Posts
Did it fault every single time or were you able to get it to work sometimes? This was the thread I found after getting the same error that prompted me to start jiggling the handle until it latched. But now that I've gotten it to work at least once I have this suspicion that unless it fails every single time at the dealership they aren't going to do anything for me.

That combined with them keeping your car for two weeks even though it could have been charged with a DC charger makes me not want to waste my time going all the way down there.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
Wouldn't Michael have still needed the plug-lock solenoid to properly latch for an EA DC fast charge plug as well?
Isn't that why the "unlock when charged" feature exists, as a courtesy to others waiting at same (as well as an L2 station)?

Did it fault every single time or were you able to get it to work sometimes? This was the thread I found after getting the same error that prompted me to start jiggling the handle until it latched. But now that I've gotten it to work at least once I have this suspicion that unless it fails every single time at the dealership they aren't going to do anything for me.

That combined with them keeping your car for two weeks even though it could have been charged with a DC charger makes me not want to waste my time going all the way down there.

·
2021 1st
351 Posts
I'm not sure. I know that I was getting this error with our EVSE but not at the fast charge stations. I was eventually able to get it to charge the other night when I was helping troubleshoot in the other thread but I haven't tried since my wife got back from her trip. He did say he was able to charge 11kwh earlier in the thread so he was getting some charging somewhere along the line.

By not sure, I meant you are correct that in order to charge either AC or DC that locking pin needs to come out but what I don't know is whether it never came out or if it was intermittent.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
159 Posts
Just throwing this out there but there could be slight dimensional differences between the locking latch on the handle between EVSE’s or fast chargers. Also if one was a bit loose it’s possible the handle could be canted in such a way that the locking pin comes out of its turtle shell, runs into an obstacle (the latch) and returns to its home, resulting in an error. I haven’t encountered this problem myself but I have shown a flashlight into the port while connecting/disconnecting and you can see the pin do its thing.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts