Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
238 Posts
I have had no issues using my home EVSE, but then I have rarely used it because an EA station is only seven minutes away. I have found though that getting the EA charge plug in is like wrestling an alligator! I have learned though why the fast charging cables are so big - they have coolant, antifreeze, circulating through them.

·
4 Posts
My ID4 does the same thing. It will not reliably charge to 80% by the scheduled departure time. The first time I plugged it in with departure time set, it did what it was supposed to and charged to car. Last night it started charging but stopped some time during the night and I only got to 53%. I didn’t have reduced AC charging selected, but maybe the car behaved as if I did? Who knows? 🤦‍♀️ Have you all been contacting VW with these issues? It seems a software update will be necessary if many of us are having the same issues. Tonight I’ll just try manually plugging it in and starting the charge.

·
39 Posts
Wow - $0.09 / kWh?? I guess that your utility doesn't have to pay $ billions in damages to homeowners whose houses burned down due to power lines coming down in high winds.

I think that my off-peak rate was as low as $0.06 / kWh when I first signed up for an EV TOU plan in 2013. About 3x higher now.
I'm in northern California, too, with quite a bit of solar on my roof but I still charge between 12 am - 7am. I use a Chargepoint evse that I schedule in the app so I haven't tried any scheduling in the car to know if that works or not. Sorry you're having so many issues.

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have had no issues using my home EVSE, but then I have rarely used it because an EA station is only seven minutes away. I have found though that getting the EA charge plug in is like wrestling an alligator! I have learned though why the fast charging cables are so big - they have coolant, antifreeze, circulating through them.
Wait - you do all of your charging with DCFC?
Are you concerned about the degradation of your battery capacity?

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My ID4 does the same thing. It will not reliably charge to 80% by the scheduled departure time. The first time I plugged it in with departure time set, it did what it was supposed to and charged to car. Last night it started charging but stopped some time during the night and I only got to 53%. I didn’t have reduced AC charging selected, but maybe the car behaved as if I did? Who knows? 🤦‍♀️ Have you all been contacting VW with these issues? It seems a software update will be necessary if many of us are having the same issues. Tonight I’ll just try manually plugging it in and starting the charge.
Having reduced charging current selected should not cause your car to stop charging prematurely. I notified VW of my problems via email to [email protected] and they opened a case for my specific issues FWIW. I suggest that you do that too.

I don't have a smart EVSE, but I can download my electric power usage data in 1 hour increments from my utility company account. That let me see that the car was not drawing the full available power of the EVSE and I could see more or less when the charging stopped prematurely. I passed than on to VW also.

Please do keep us posted re. how the immediate charging works out. I haven't tried that yet for a full charge.

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know that Tesla denied warranty claims to people who fast-charged their batteries "excessively." I don't know if VW will do that. I also wonder if VW will ding you for decreased battery capacity (if it measures as such) when you turn it in if you are leasing it.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
335 Posts
I know that Tesla denied warranty claims to people who fast-charged their batteries "excessively." I don't know if VW will do that. I also wonder if VW will ding you for decreased battery capacity (if it measures as such) when you turn it in if you are leasing it.
I would think as long as there's no language in a lease contact explicitly mentioning battery degradation that they wouldn't be able to ding you on that.

And, I think VW might be in hot water if they tried to deny warranty claims due to "excessive" fast charging when they're the ones offering 3 years of unlimited fast charging.

Plus, even with a lot of fast charging, I think the ID.4 should hold up relatively well, considering the 5 kWh buffer in the pack, and the seemingly great battery conditioning/cooling system. But only time will tell, of course!

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I would think as long as there's no language in a lease contact explicitly mentioning battery degradation that they wouldn't be able to ding you on that.

And, I think VW might be in hot water if they tried to deny warranty claims due to "excessive" fast charging when they're the ones offering 3 years of unlimited fast charging.

Plus, even with a lot of fast charging, I think the ID.4 should hold up relatively well, considering the 5 kWh buffer in the pack, and the seemingly great battery conditioning/cooling system. But only time will tell, of course!
Feeling lucky ?

What does the buffer have to do with this - is that at the bottom or the top of the SOC?

Degradation could be estimated by measuring the battery temp when charging if we knew about the temp distribution and the particular battery chemistry. Anything else is wishful thinking.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
335 Posts
Feeling lucky ?

What does the buffer have to do with this - is that at the bottom or the top of the SOC?

Degradation could be estimated by measuring the battery temp when charging if we knew about the temp distribution and the particular battery chemistry. Anything else is wishful thinking.
Well there is a buffer at the "bottom" of the SOC past 0% of around 12 miles of range before the car simply won't drive at all. That was tested by...Edmunds, I think? But, I think the 5 kWh buffer is basically at the "top", except presumably, the BMS cycles through all the cells in the battery as you use it anyway, so it's not like the exact same physical 5 kWh is just always sitting up there empty. The BMS should ideally be distributing wear across all cells in the pack over the lifetime.

The reason it's relevant is because having a buffer means you are never getting that close to 100% SOC -- more like 94% is the maximum you can actually get when charged to "full", if my calculations are correct (5 / 82 = 0.061). Therefore, the BMS is protecting you to some extent from degradation that can occur at the extreme of 100% SOC. This is different than most Tesla cars, which AFAIK do not have a buffer in the battery pack (unless you have a software limited one like the Model 3 base trim), therefore tend to show greater degradation over time compared to some other EVs.

Like I said though, only time will tell. Maybe we'll find that the BMS in ID.4 is actually terrible and has higher than average degradation. I doubt it personally, but it's a possibility.

·
2021 ID.4 1st - blue, of course
1 Posts
I'll start with my location-based charging issues that I've discussed elsewhere (see p. 4 of I regret I bought it). I'd like to thank @ericky and others who have helped me so far.

I have been unable to charge as intended using any of the 4 modes I know of when at my home location. Here is the status of my car and a description of the failures:

I set a charging station location in the Vehicle menu with a departure time set to 7:45 am each day, with no climate preconditioning. I then configured and selected a preferred charging time (12:05 am - 2:55 pm) corresponding to my low time-of-use electric rate. I prepared for charging like this on April 5:
  • Car was at 30% SOC, and the car was at the selected charging location.
  • I set immediate charging to 20% and scheduled charging to 80%
  • "Unlock AC cable automatically" was selected
  • I powered the car off (electric parking brake) and exited the car
  • Car was unlocked
  • I plugged in my EVSE which has charged several other cars flawlessly for 8 years

Case 1: Departure time + preferred charging time set as above:
The car did initiate a charge early the next morning (some time before 3am) but then stopped charging a little over an hour later. I inspected the EVSE and vehicle, and neither indicated any faults on their displays. I unplugged the EVSE, power cycled the car, and plugged the EVSE back in. The same thing happened: it started charging and stopped for no apparent reason after about an hour. I repeated the restart process, and eventually the car stopped charging at the scheduled 7:45 am departure time.

Case 2: Only departure time set:
I repeated the above process on April 14, but this time the car was at 40% SOC and I deselected the preferred charging time. Only the departure time was selected (unchanged from 7:45 am). The car did start charging sometime in the morning of April 15 until it stopped at the scheduled departure time of 7:45. That is the good news. The bad news is that it only charged to 69% SOC, not the specified 80%. I later downloaded the electric usage data from my utility (house has a smart meter), and I saw that the whole house was drawing only about 80% of the maximum power of the EVSE (i.e., ~19 vs 24 Amps of current) when the car was charging. The house drew the full power of the EVSE when I charged a different car with the same EVSE about 2 weeks earlier.

Case 3: Charge Now selected:
On April 15 I attempted to bypass the schedule and charge immediately by selecting "Charge now" on the car's "Goodbye" exist screen it displays when it is powered off. I exited the car and plugged in the EVSE. The green light came on and the car started charging, but it stopped about 1 minute later. I repeated this process with the same result, and this was confirmed by other ID.4 owners on vwidtalk.com.

Case 4: Charge immediately via Car-Net:
Car-Net shows the battery SOC and climate status. However, clicking "Start Charging" always gives a "Command Timeout" error - unable to communicate with the vehicle (10/10 tries; could be due to poor mobile network connection?)

Other owners in the vwidtalk.com forum replicated the exact same behavior in Cases 1 and 3 above. @ericy recorded his EVSE's power output and noted several short periods where the car stopped charging completely, and the car also did not draw the full available power from the EVSE then.
Same issue here with similar tests:

Case 1: Departure time test
Set departure time to 8am, car started charging sometime around 7am at full power, but was obviously to little time to get a full charge done by 8am.

Case 2: preferred charging times + Departure time test
Vehicle started charging in the middle of the night (around 4am) for an hour and then stopped. reached 60%

Case 3: only preferred charging times
Vehicle did the same as test 2. but achieved 63% (which made me think if maybe the car applies 80% SOC twice - but could not replicated it).

Case 4: timed the charge on my app for the EVSE
worked flawlessly - BUT: CarNet took 4 hours to update the state of charge.

Points to note:
Kept keys away so they are not in range (you will notice if they are in range, the little red LED on the key fob keeps blinking, even though its very dimmed).
Car has full WiFi reception

One thing I will point out here though: the ID.3 and ID.4 vehicles right now do not have a parked location function available (info directly from VW developers). This could potentially be the cause for the car not being able to properly apply the in-vehicle charging schedule. This issue will be solved with an update in Q4. I hope this will also solve the in car schedule.
Otherwise I will just use my EVSE app to time my charging, since I don't actually need a preconditioned vehicle with departure time (thanks Corona for working from home :) )...

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
89 Posts
Might be worth including the rated charge rate of the EVSE being used in the findings. I wonder if there is any negotiation done with the EVSE when first plugged in. Could be that the internal logic is assuming the max 11kw charge available and erroneously basing its calculations on receiving the max power.

Reactions: ozkayamur

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Might be worth including the rated charge rate of the EVSE being used in the findings. I wonder if there is any negotiation done with the EVSE when first plugged in. Could be that the internal logic is assuming the max 11kw charge available and erroneously basing its calculations on receiving the max power.
There is some negotiating done with the EVSE when first plugged in - I can hear relays click in the car and EVSE click, and the EVSE indicator lights change. My experience is that if the car does start charging in advance of the departure time, then the start time would be sufficiently early to reach the specified SOC IF the car drew the full power of the EVSE. My utility data show that the car does not draw the full power of the EVSE though - varying from ~30-90%. I measured that on different time scales with 2 different EVSE (one is 5.8 kW, the other 9.6 kW).

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Same issue here with similar tests:

Case 1: Departure time test
Set departure time to 8am, car started charging sometime around 7am at full power, but was obviously to little time to get a full charge done by 8am.

Case 2: preferred charging times + Departure time test
Vehicle started charging in the middle of the night (around 4am) for an hour and then stopped. reached 60%

Case 3: only preferred charging times
Vehicle did the same as test 2. but achieved 63% (which made me think if maybe the car applies 80% SOC twice - but could not replicated it).

Case 4: timed the charge on my app for the EVSE
worked flawlessly - BUT: CarNet took 4 hours to update the state of charge.

Points to note:
Kept keys away so they are not in range (you will notice if they are in range, the little red LED on the key fob keeps blinking, even though its very dimmed).
Car has full WiFi reception

One thing I will point out here though: the ID.3 and ID.4 vehicles right now do not have a parked location function available (info directly from VW developers). This could potentially be the cause for the car not being able to properly apply the in-vehicle charging schedule. This issue will be solved with an update in Q4. I hope this will also solve the in car schedule.
Otherwise I will just use my EVSE app to time my charging, since I don't actually need a preconditioned vehicle with departure time (thanks Corona for working from home :) )...
Thank you for conducting these careful tests and clearly communicating your results! Indeed, this is very similar to my experiences. Last night I had the same results of your Case 1: charging started ~1 hr before departure time at full power, way too late to achieve the desired SOC. The possible relationship with the ID.4 not storing its GPS location is quite interesting.

I had a conversation about my problems with my VW case manager this morning, and she told me that she had no knowledge of other cars having this problem and that I need to take my car to the dealer for more tests again. I will do that, and supposedly the dealer will coordinate tests and communicate results with VWoA. That said, I doubt that the dealer has sufficient instrumentation to record the time of charge start and the current that the car is drawing from the EVSE.

ALL: Please report these problems to [email protected] if you are experience similar issues and ask them to open a case. We can then inform VW of our different case numbers that have the same problem, and hopefully this will instill a more aggressive response. VW will not accept our reports in this forum as evidence that this car has generic charging problems! (straight from my regional case manager)

·
8 Posts
I am having this exact same problem and have emailed them. Thank you for providing the email address! Please keep us updated!

·
16 Posts
I have also experienced problems with the ID4 time of use programing for charging the battery. I ended up removing the time of day setting and used the 'immediate charge' setting. And my EVSE is a basic one. So, no way to set the car to charge at night, except to manually plug it in late at night :-(

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am having this exact same problem and have emailed them. Thank you for providing the email address! Please keep us updated!
Thank YOU for also writing VW! I will send you my case number in a private message so you can tell VW that your car and my car have the same problem. I encourage you to reference this forum thread as well.

·
4 Posts
The Mach-E is also havng some issues with charge curves as well. so here's hoping that VW and Ford will iron out the kinks soon.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts