Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
148 Posts
I'm thinking of switching to a FE, mostly because I can get it sooner, plus I think it is slightly less expensive. However, I'd much rather have the 19" wheels for range and comfort rather than the 20". I guess I can live with those for now.
That's precisely why I jumped for an FE back in September. $2000 less for the nice to have features is not jump change, and I can live with the 20" wheels and the white trim. Good luck with your reservation!

·
3 Posts
I just got the email for the second chance on the first edition. Currently have a Pro S reservation because I initially wanted AWD, but then changed my mind.

I'm thinking of switching to a FE, mostly because I can get it sooner, plus I think it is slightly less expensive. However, I'd much rather have the 19" wheels for range and comfort rather than the 20". I guess I can live with those for now.

Curious as to what time the FE reservation opens on the 7th? Midnight? Later?
I'm in the same situation. Have a Pro S reservation and am debating whether to switch to the FE. I think the price difference is $500. But the larger tires, non-collapsible tow hitch, and white interiors (I have little kids) make the FE less attractive to me. And I don't really care about the embellishments of the FE. Hmm, it's a tough one.

·
107 Posts
1st world problems ;) I am in the same boat ... some time to consider, but I am 99% sure I'd stay with Pro S AWD because of AWD

·
42 Posts
I agree, these are 1st world problems. It is really going to come down to what is essential to each person. The FE is a better value to me. BUT the white (while it looks good and really pops) is an upkeep item I don't want to deal with. However, if you plan to tow anything or have a bike rack, and want your car sooner the FE is the way to go (But the white steering wheel!!!). BTW, how do you all feel about the overall upkeep of lighter upholstery? I'm going to have to sleep on this.

·
107 Posts
I had cream interior in Touareg and every single smudge was visible, especially on back seats with kids around. I boiled down to cleaning the car pretty thoroughly on weekly basis. Either I have slobs at home, or it is just unavoidable. Now my Q5 is dark brown interior and I do not see any dirt on it, so maintenance is substantially decreased. I still need to vacuum from time to time but at least the interior looks in decent shape irrespective of whether I shuttle kids around or not.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
339 Posts
My wife had light gray upholstery in a Mazda CX-9. It stayed clean enough, but the big issue was dye transfer from blue denim. We purchased a package and had them fix it a few times, but that became annoying. We decided black/dark seating surfaces from then on out.

·
107 Posts
I did not notice denim transfer in Touareg, even though seats were the same cream color. I guess that depends on the material itself and its roughness. I did notice hand cream smudges were very easy to leave behind and super hard to remove for some reason.
In dark brown interior the only thing that seems to leave marks is ... sun lotion, that leaves white streaks. Luckily, it can be removed easily with generic (non-paper) wet wipes.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
255 Posts
That's been an issue for us, especially with my wife's 'fashion' jeans transferring dye (my standard Levi 505's have been fine tho'). They likely dyed the fabric better when it was originally "de Nîmes."
Vinyl seats clean pretty easily however. Mercedes calls theirs M-Tex, VAG "Leatherette", but a rose by any other name. ;)
In fairness vinyl seats (and linoleum floors) are far, far away better than a long time ago.

My wife had light gray upholstery in a Mazda CX-9. It stayed clean enough, but the big issue was dye transfer from blue denim. We purchased a package and had them fix it a few times, but that became annoying. We decided black/dark seating surfaces from then on out.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
255 Posts
I self-debated this for quite some time as well, especially given I've had Quattro for the past decade in three vehicles and several 4WD Jeeps the decade prior. There's no question that in Winter/offroad driving it instills confidence. However ultimately I considered just how often I would be in snow/ice/gravel and in operation significant enough where AWD would truly be beneficial. In my 99% intended use I just couldn't justify a need. For me [add'l] cost as an independent variable, but the weight of an additional electric motor, and its use, was an engineering consideration factor in range.
Also related I drove my daughter's regifted to me FWD Mazda 6 (after I bought her a Mini Countryman AWD) as a 'Winter beater' extensively for two seasons and had no issues whatsoever. Some would argue that FWD is superior to RWD in that respect and there is merit to that viewpoint. But then I cast my memory back to my teen driving when most all vehicles were RWD, and bias ply tires, and somehow I'm still here to relate, so .... ;)
We all need to fairly and as objectively as possible evaluate our actual needs (vs. wants). First world indeed tho'. 🙂
1st world problems ;) I am in the same boat ... some time to consider, but I am 99% sure I'd stay with Pro S AWD because of AWD

·
32 Posts
In my 99% intended use I just couldn't justify a need. For me [add'l] cost as an independent variable, but the weight of an additional electric motor, and its use, was an engineering consideration factor in range.
Yes, I wonder what the ID.4 AWD range will be. I bailed on the AWD Volvo XC40 because of the reduced range. If not done properly, AWD can have a big impact on range.

·
74 Posts
We all need to fairly and as objectively as possible evaluate our actual needs (vs. wants).
I found myself in the same position. I live in IL and was planning on getting the AWD along with the Gradient package. I ultimately decided that I couldn't justify the +$6.1k delta including tax with original plan (for same car minus 2nd motor & heated windshield) so I made the switch too. While the car I primarily drive now has AWD, our other family car does not and we've never had a problem. The hardest part before switching to 1st edition was accepting the white steering wheel, but since all the interior color options have something I don't particularly like, the white steering wheel doesn't kill the deal.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts